• Bem-vindo/a Convidado

O ForUMM/For-UMM é um espaço público on-line de debate de temas ligados aos veículos da marca UMM, aberto a todos os interessados que nele queiram participar de acordo com as condições especificadas em Termos e Regras – ver no fim da página.

Sem registo, não terá acesso à totalidade da informação que consta nesta plataforma!

Após o registo deverá apresentar-se à comunidade, seguindo as regras apresentadas no momento de se apresentar. Após a aprovação da apresentação estará pronto para participar no ForUMM/For-UMM em toda a sua plenitude.

Junte-se a nós! Esta comunidade recebe com gosto quem quer participar.

A Administração, ForUMM.

My UMM in the Netherlands

Paula

Iniciado
Registo
7 Mar 2011
Hi,

As promissed, a few pictures of our UMM. It needs some work. It's a bit rusty at some places and it needs windows and a couch in the back so we can all take place in our UMM.

What do you think?

Kind regards,

Paula

Paula

Iniciado
Registo
7 Mar 2011
quote:Originally posted by ultimate mountain machine

Hi Paula!
Your UMM is very nice, it´s only 2 place?
Turbo?

Hi!

Thx, Yes it's only 2 places at the moment. We are searching for back seats but it's hard to find them here in Holland. We probably need to get them from al Land Rover Defender. But we might fijnd some back seats threw this forum....
We have childeren who we liked to have in the back with us so that's why we needs seats.

And it's not (yet) a turbo. My husband is thinking of making a turbo in it.

Kind regards,

Paula

ToMiX

UMM
Registo
17 Mai 2008
I there Paula and Wellcome to our FORUM.
Your UMM is not a UMM entrepreneur like you said.
It seems that is an UMM ALTER 2, the last models produced in Portugal. (the last 25 UMM produced are from the year 2000 with a diferent engine).
It has 4 ou 5 gears?
And it's easy to find parts for this model. They are on our roads day-by-day.
CONGRATILATIONS and stay tuned here! You have a lot to read!

Paula

Iniciado
Registo
7 Mar 2011
quote:Originally posted by ToMiX

I there Paula and Wellcome to our FORUM.
Your UMM is not a UMM entrepreneur like you said.
It seems that is an UMM ALTER 2, the last models produced in Portugal. (the last 25 UMM produced are from the year 2000 with a diferent engine).
It has 4 ou 5 gears?
And it's easy to find parts for this model. They are on our roads day-by-day.
CONGRATILATIONS and stay tuned here! You have a lot to read!

Hi there thx for your comment.
We already thougt so that original it's not a Entrepreneur BUT the dutch registration papers say it's a entrepreneur. So that's why we thought that was it. But I can see the differents.

So it's a Alter II? It has a 2,3 engine and has a buildingyear (on the dutch regestrationpapers) of 1988? Would that be right or is that not possible? It has 5 gears.

Her in Holland there are about 25 of these cars on the road, as I have read. So you can imagine it's very hard to find information or even parts.

Kind regards,

Paula

L

LTmaverick

if you wish i can volunteer to send you some spare parts that you need, i think postage would'nt be much expensive and sometimes we find some bargains here in portugal ;)

I commend your courage, but I will show you no mercy!

Paula

Iniciado
Registo
7 Mar 2011
quote:Originally posted by LTmaverick

if you wish i can volunteer to send you some spare parts that you need, i think postage would'nt be much expensive and sometimes we find some bargains here in portugal ;)

Thx that's very kind of you. I will soon post a topic with needed parts and we'll what does come forward from it!!
Thanks.

@ Tomix: I found this at wikipedia, now I'm even more confused

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1979 UMM launches a new restyling of the UMM 4x4 Cournil with the same 2.1 Litre Diesel engine. It left the Cournil designation and was available with new equipments. There was only one trim: the Entrepreneur. In 1982, it featured bigger doors and a new Indenor-Peugeot 2.3 Litre Diesel engine.

Can you tell me what type our car really is?

Kind regards,

Paula

ToMiX

UMM
Registo
17 Mai 2008
Well, it seems that your UMM was made in a Transition Period, so it probably has a mix between Model Alter 1 and Model Alter 2.
But i can't say much more because i'm not a good Expert in English or even in Mechanics...

aloevera

UMMzão
Registo
2 Mai 2008
Paula ...Paula...Paula!
:)

Oh noo nooo nooooo...
Calm down.

1. At first on your presentation you said you had bought a UMM Cournil Entrepneur - I was curious to see the pics.
2. Now on this topic you say "beloved husband" is going to try to change a "normal aspirated indenor" engine to "turbo"
3. you say your UMM is from 1988 and looking at the pics we can well see its an early version of a Alter II - comercial version (missing rear side windows)

A1 - Its a UMM Alter II - so it is how it was designated at the time in Portugal - it could have changed to certain coutries like for example the "cournil" to Englad got designated as "Transcat" so to Holland you could have got a different name...but I highly doubt it - unless that vehicle is using "another vechiles" documentation - please ask husband to perform a visual check of the chassis number on THREE locations:
(1st place) inside the engine bay just at the bottom of the windscreen area check the revited blue plate made by UMM (make sure the revits are rusty as the car and where not fixed "recently"), it should have your long number matching the legal document in your country
(2nd place) remove the bullbar & front bumper (just 4 bolts) and confirm that EXACTLY the last 5 digits of your chassis do match your legal documentation
(3rd place) as shown on the picture and EASIEST way is to get a torch and look at the long number marked inside the engine bay exactly by the inner side of the right wheel arch as shown by the red arrow drawn on the pic.

A2 - Tell your beloved husband to get the lawn mower out and look after that garden lol instead of fitting a turbo on this engine...as life "expectancy" will dramatically reduce significantly among many other things if you fit a turbo on your normal aspirated engine....trust me Im a doctor. Now if you want to find a turbo 2.5 TD UMM engine thats another matter and you can still easily do that sourcing it from Portugal. ...******* if he reads this he will tell all.

A3 - Seats Modifications & others: At a quick glance windows = 100 euros maybe a bit less maybe a bit more + Rear seats prices range from "free" or 50 euros or 100 euros to 150 max 250euros and these ones should be AS NEW for this price and would include the two little seats at the back right by the rear door - kids would love these ones. But remember you can have TWO types either along the vehicle "LONGITUDINAL" or ACROSS with two side consoles - the ones I was talking about earlier (check forum for pics) Longitudinal normally are cheaper and very similar to the "Land Rover Defender" <<<these ones would need adaptation. The accross ORIGINAL UMM ones and the longitudinal ones would NOT NEED any modification as FROM factory the fixation holes are THERE...YUP remove that "smelly" carpet and you will them...Ill chop my head if not. (whooops) :)

I think you have a lot to do for now...and so do i!
Keep this post live and ask anything you like...surely someone will leave you with an answer.

Good luck
Carlos Pires

Paula

Iniciado
Registo
7 Mar 2011
quote:Originally posted by aloevera

Paula ...Paula...Paula!
:)

Oh noo nooo nooooo...
Calm down.

1. At first on your presentation you said you had bought a UMM Cournil Entrepneur - I was curious to see the pics.
2. Now on this topic you say "beloved husband" is going to try to change a "normal aspirated indenor" engine to "turbo"
3. you say your UMM is from 1988 and looking at the pics we can well see its an early version of a Alter II - comercial version (missing rear side windows)

Good luck
Carlos Pires

@1 I never said it is a Cournil. The dutch regestration papers tell me its a UMM Entrepreneur. Noting more, noting less. So that's why I would like to find out if that's right
@2 No sweat, the part off the turbo engine is a problem for later on. First we need to make this car a family car. The engine idea is for the futher.
@3 I already thougt that the buildingyear as written on the regestration papers is not the original building year but probably the year that the vehical was first coming on the road in Belgium. And that's a real pitty for as because we asum that the vehical has had a owner befor 1988 in Portugal but we don't have any registration of that and so we can't prove to the dutch tax-services that this car is more than 25 years old. (In holland you don't have to pay road-taxes if your car is from befor 1-1-1987) Now we are paying 150 euro's per month for just being on the road.

So you think also that the car is not from 1988 but from before that? And it's not a Entrepreneur but a Alter 2?

Kind regards,

Paula

aloevera

UMMzão
Registo
2 Mai 2008
Paula,

The reason why I find it strange the word Entrepreneur on a Alter II version (search via google and then wikipedia):

History The UMM 4x4 design is derived from a prototype created by the French engineering firm Cournil, called Entrepreneur. The Cournil Entrepreneur's building rights were acquired by the Portuguese company União Metalo-Mecânica, part of the Mocar group and were renamed as UMM.

They became known for their reliability, especially when in a Paris-Dakar rally the team was able to finish with all the cars that started. Many UMMs are still in use by utilities in Spain, Portugal, Cape Verde (in use by the national army) and France and also by the "Guarda Nacional Republicana" (Portuguese Gendarmerie), fire service and military, although the majority of their customers were private individuals. Around 700 UMMs are still in service in the Republic of the Congo (Zaire). They are also popular in France and Angola.

UMM stopped building the UMM Alter II for private customers in 1994, but kept on taking large orders from military and utility services until 1996. Custom orders are no longer accepted. It is suspected that more than 10.000 UMMs were made.

The most famous UMM is probably the one that transported Pope John Paul II in one of his visits to Portugal.

An updated version was announced in 2000[citation needed], powered by a 2.1 L Turbo Diesel engine. This engine was less noisy and had more torque at low speed. Several options were available, including air conditioning and GPS. Price was meant to be lower to a Land Rover Defender with similar finishings. However, the company had no capital to invest in its development.

Recently the distribuition of spare parts for the UMM vehicles was outsourced to the company Europeças, Europeças.

[edit] Vehicle ModelsUMM 4x4 Cournil (1977–1979)
UMM 4x4 (1979–1984)
UMM Alter 4x4 (1985)
UMM Alter II (1986–1994) ...This is Paula's UMM - but check with VIN (vehicle identification number - on chassis)
UMM Alter 2000 (2000–2004)

Notable Versions
UMM Alter “Papamobile”
UMM Alter A4 11 (To be called Alter III - Only three prototypes were made, only one is road legal)
Trivia
The UMM Alter is named after a well-known Portuguese horse breed.
Most of the known Portuguese off-road drivers started their careers driving UMMs

2 - Glad you making it a family car as it goes everywhere and doesnt require high maintenance like most cars - no electronics playing around etc..etc...

3 - fabrication year sometimes doesnt mean registration year - as of exported UMM's I am pretty sure that at least a "year gap" happens, but normally that doesnt "show" on any document - unless you have access to other type of documentation in your country, and the Vehicle agency shares with the tax payer "Everything". I am SHOCKED you have to pay 150 euros PER MONTH!!! to have a vehicle "sitting on the road". In England we have a "form" called SORN - the individual can declare "off the road" any vehicle he wants - obvious if the vehicle is found on public roads is simply DESTROYED and you pay no more no less than £5000- but there is no "ripping off" the tax payer...JESUS!! paying 150 per month! Thats a daylight robbery! I believe if you actually do what I have suggested on 3rd place we can actually cross check the real year of the car - and who knows "SOMEONE" might help you out with a declaration from UMM themselves statting the year of fabrication and then you will be saving money and saying to yourself..."Ah going on UMM Forum in Portugal after all isnt a WASTE OF TIME!" :p

Now an advice do not give your complete chassis number to anyone not even me (we dont like clonned UMM's)
Do the visual check on the chassis and see if it matches the documents in your possession - thats important, otherwise you and me will be wasting our time.

I will give you an example, just show here or via PM the "partial" long number of the chassis and avoid typing the last digits:
like for example TW4B11D1L0003XXXXXXX the type of composition of the chassis serial number will tell a lot of things,
Like:
- If it is an Alter I or Alter II or even Cournil
- If it has got a 4 or 5 speed gearbox
- Year of fabrication
- If it is a normal aspirated engine of turbo version
- chassis type like "cabin crew" or 100" or like yours comercial etc.

Paula, you want to save money and keep a very unsual and unique vehicle thats why you got a lovely UMM, but to do all that read carefuly and in no rush, specially the wikipedia extract then you will know a few more things.

Then after physically check on the chassis that number let us know either myself or someone else will help out telling exactly the year and if you have the "right stuff".

Now im gonna do some work! :p
Good luck.

Carlos Pires

Paula

Iniciado
Registo
7 Mar 2011
Thx for your time.

Before we go any further I shall have a look at the serial number and let you know.

Kind regards,

Paula

Registo
10 Jul 2009
Congratulations to UMM seems flawless, now hands to work for a better yet

"Save The Planet, Save The Umm"

Umm Abraço

Paulo Cairrão & XJ
Gouveia

Paula

Iniciado
Registo
7 Mar 2011
quote:Originally posted by aloevera

Paula,

Now an advice do not give your complete chassis number to anyone not even me (we dont like clonned UMM's)
Do the visual check on the chassis and see if it matches the documents in your possession - thats important, otherwise you and me will be wasting our time.

I will give you an example, just show here or via PM the "partial" long number of the chassis and avoid typing the last digits:
like for example TW4B11D1L0003XXXXXXX the type of composition of the chassis serial number will tell a lot of things,
Like:
- If it is an Alter I or Alter II or even Cournil
- If it has got a 4 or 5 speed gearbox
- Year of fabrication
- If it is a normal aspirated engine of turbo version
- chassis type like "cabin crew" or 100" or like yours comercial etc.

Carlos Pires

Oke we have checked the numbers and fortunatly they are all the same. The first digits are

TW4B11D1L0002XXXX

I'm curious what you can tell me with these numbers.

Kind regards,

Paula

Top Inferior